2017 Harvest Goat Carnival
September 23, 2017
On Saturday, September 23rd the baseball diamond at the Merrickville Fairgrounds will be transformed into a unique, immersive, co-creative experience in celebration of community, land, and life. This is the fourth annual Harvest Goat Carnival. The previous three events were held at the Fuller Family Fun Farm in Newmanville. Now, the Goat is coming to Merrickville and it will highlight the unique character and history of our beautiful village.
Our Goat has three horns:
1. Music: Bands, bards, and cabaret
- Throughout the whole day, performers – many local and some from afar – will be performing to provide a soundtrack to the festivities.
- After sundown, an elaborate stage in the form of a boat will dock in the baseball diamond, and the evening show begins, which will end up in a big dance party at the end of the evening.
2. Market: Fare, goods, and feast
- For the event, the entire baseball diamond will be transformed into a farmer’s market featuring all sorts of local produce (for this, we have partnered with the Merrickville Mid-Week Market).
- We are also featuring various local craftspersons offering their creations for sale.
- Finally, just before the evening concert, there will be a great banquet to which all are invited.
3. Moot: Games, parley, and skillshare
- Throughout the grounds, various groups and speakers will present workshops on various issues and initiatives in order to elucidate and entertain.
- Learn a new skill, find out about a new project, or just enjoy a good rant.
Some of this year's unique activities include
- on-site building of the Silver Goat statue,
- the culmination of the Goatest Song of All Time contest,
- Pseudo-Historical King-Queen-Quing Costume Competition Culmination,
- a make-your-own GoatMerch stand,
- Africa vs. Canada Barbecue Cookoff,
- local beer 'n' sauce tent,
- on site mask & costume augmentation services,
- a giant marionette boxing match between local allstorical figures Harry McLean & William Merrick (& perhaps even the ghost of Roger Stevens),
- the painting of a pseudo-historical mural,
- bouts of sword and stick fighting,
- pop-up historical theatre
- and competitions between local town criers, chorales (choirs) and combos (marching bands).
What the Goat can do for you:
All sponsors will be prominently featured in our on-site banner and on the website (we can link to your website) as well as in the special program that will be distributed to all attendees. [Donations of over $100 will receive a complimentary event pass].
We want the Harvest Goat Carnival to be a wonderful showcase for Merrickville’s inimitable charm. Our plan is for this to be annual event that will draw people into the village and enjoy our local merchants. With your help, we can make the Harvest Goat Carnival another jewel in Merrickville’s calendar of events.