Phone Number: 613-269-4034
Address: St. Lawrence Street, Merrickville, Ontario
Description: A local association in Merrickville.
The Rideau Canal was constructed by the British Government between 1826 and 1832 to provide an alternate supply route to Upper Canada in the event of another war with the United States. The Merrickville Blockhouse was one of four erected to protect Canal lockstations. The Blockhouse was originally designed to house up to 50 soldiers supplied with arms and ammunition. Later, the upstairs was divided into five rooms to house the lockmaster and his family. The room with the fireplace was the kitchen ans some of the old plaster can still be seen on the walls and even some wallpaper in the other rooms. The ground floor was used at times for religious services before churches were The military, domestic and agricultural artifacts displayed in this museum come mainly form the descendants of these early settlers.